We're all in this together!

I started this blog to share my love of all things Cub Scout. Although the content is still sparse, I'm not new to Scouting. I've been a Girl Scout Brownie and Junior leader, and in Cubs I've been a den leader for about 10 years for Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos ranks. I'm Woodbadge trained and have taught council-level adult training courses. My introduction to Cub Scouts came in a wonderful community pack of homeschoolers, and my own sons participated there and later in two LDS packs. In my current LDS pack I am a Bear leader and am enjoying still learning how to teach the adventure program. I welcome your ideas, helpful tips, and info that will help all of us along the Cub Scout trail. Feel free to contact me by email at denmotherjen (at) outlook (dot) com and follow my Cub Scout board on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/notjeneric/cub-scout-new-adventures/ --Jennifer Hughes

Monday, August 25, 2014

LDS Faith in God Requirements

I frequently have parents ask me what their Cub Scout needs to do to earn his religious square knot. It's pretty simple: there are seven requirements that are marked with a little square knot in the "Faith in God" booklet, but until I made this worksheet I couldn't find a page that showed them all in one place and indicates when requirements were passed off. I know this is a very simple worksheet, but I thought I'd just post it because perhaps it might be of help to another leader. Click here for the Word file.

Scouts can begin working on their religious square knot as a Wolf and continue working on it through their Webelos year if they want; however, they must receive this award to be eligible to receive the Arrow of Light! 

The religious square knot and Arrow of Light are the most prestigious awards in Cub Scouting because they are the only awards that can be worn for a lifetime--they transfer to the Boy Scout uniform and are represented on the adult uniform as leader knots. Since I never was a Cub Scout, I have knot envy for the men who got these awards as kids! (By the way, if you were a Girl Scout and earned your Gold Award, "there's a knot for that" too.) If you love knot bling on your uniform like I do, you'll be interested to know that earning the Young Women medallion as a teenager also qualifies you to wear this purple earned-as-a-youth religious knot!


1 comment: